Monday, September 28, 2009

Sully returning to duty at US Airways, as a management pilot

by B. N. Sullivan

Chesley B. 'Sully' Sullenberger, IIICaptain Chesley B. Sullenberger, III -- AKA 'Sully' -- is about to return to work at US Airways, this time as a management pilot. Capt. Sullenberger, you will recall, was the pilot in commend of US Airways Flight 1549, the Airbus A320 that successfully ditched in New York's Hudson River on January 15, 2009.

The announcement about Sullenberger's return to work at US Airways was made today in a press release issued by the carrier. That statement also said that in addition to his flying duties, Sullenberger will join the US Airways flight operations safety management team.

“We welcome Capt. Sullenberger back to work and are proud to have him flying with us again as a member of the US Airways safety management organization,” said Chairman and CEO, Doug Parker. “US Airways is an industry leader when it comes to safety and Sully is an excellent addition to the team.”

“The months since January 15 have been very full, and my family and I have had some unforgettable experiences,” said Capt. Sullenberger. “However, I have missed working with my colleagues at US Airways and I am eager to get back in the cockpit with my fellow pilots in the months ahead. In my new role, I will continue to be the same kind of advocate for aviation safety that I have been for several decades.”

Here's hoping his advocacy for aviation safety continues to encompass the issues about which he spoke so eloquently before Congress in February of 2009.

Welcome back, Sully!

[Photo Source]